aktiv 10s connectors & functions
This text describes the layout and main functions of the rear panel of our
aktiv 10s active monitors.
1. XLR inputs - these connectors accept balanced XLR input connections.
The XLR input is wired like this:
2. TRS inputs - these jacks accept TRS input connections, either balanced
or unbalanced. For balanced connections, a 3-conductor TRS plug is necessary.
The TRS input is wired like this:
Unbalanced wiring works with either a 2- or 3-conductor TRS connector. A 2-conductor
TRS plug (or sometimes also just called TS plug) automatically grounds the minus
signal input, whereas a 3- conductor TRS plug wired unbalanced provides the
option of leaving the minus open or grounded. We recommend that you ground the
3. level control knob - use this level control knob to adjust to the
input proper input level from the sound source.
4. subwoofer crossover control - this controls a low-pass filter with
upper limit between 50Hz and 180Hz. You can adjust the crossover frequency for
the actual aktiv 10s subwoofer output here. If you are not using any satellites
connected to the subwoofer directly it is best to set this to 180Hz. Don?t confuse
this with the satellite crossover control (11).
5. power switch - when you push the power switch, aktiv 10s will be
turned on, and ?surprise? it will be turned off when you push the power switch
6. power mode stand by switch - this switch controls weather aktiv 10s
is always on or works in a standby mode, which means that it goes into a low
power mode when no audio signal is played.
7. power port with ext. fuse - use this connector to plug in the detachable
3-circuit line cord that connects to the power outlet. The connector has a T2AL/250V
8. phase control - the purpose of this control is to match the phase
of the satellite cut off frequency to the phase of the upper frequency limit
of the subwoofer. Adjust the phase control for maximum sound pressure at cross
over frequency in order to make sure that the subwoofer and satellites are in
phase at cross over frequency. This allows you to get the maximum sound pressure
and most accurate sound quality after setup.
9. foot switch connector - this connector allows you to connect a foot
switch that you can use to mute the subwoofer sound. This is helpful if you
want to make A/B comparison of the sound with and without subwoofer and you
can quickly control it with a simple pedal.
10. XLR outputs - these connectors provide a balanced XLR signal for
left and right channel. If you are not using an amplifier with its own bass
management, you will need to connect your satellite speakers to these outputs
accordingly using balanced XLR cables.
11. satellite crossover control - this allows you to adjust the crossover
frequency for the output to the satellites connected to aktiv 10s via the XLR
outputs (10). You can either disable the crossover frequency or you can set
it to 100Hz. Don't confuse this with the subwoofer crossover control (4).