Knowledge Base / FAQ
Date: 2014-09-06 | ID: KB00201EN | short link:
uniK 08+ connectors & functions
This text describes the layout and main functions of the rear panel of our uniK 08+ active studio reference monitors.
1. XLR input - this connector accepts balanced XLR input connections (typically with a +4dBu level). XLR input is wired like this:
|INPUT SIGNAL||XLR CONNECTIONS|
2. TRS input - this jack accepts TRS input connections, either balanced or unbalanced. For balanced connections, a 3-conductor TRS plug is necessary. The TRS input is wired like this:
|INPUT SIGNAL||TRS CONNECTIONS|
Unbalanced wiring works with either a 2- or 3-conductor TRS connector. A 2-conductor TRS plug (or sometimes also just called TS plug) automatically grounds the minus signal input, whereas a 3-conductor TRS plug wired unbalanced provides the option of leaving the minus open or grounded. We recommend that you ground the unused part.
3. vent port - uniK 08+ is a vented box speaker system with a vent port on the rear panel. Because of this, it is better to keep some small distance from the wall and not to put the speaker directly into a corner of the room (as the two sides of the corner would generate different reflections).
4. input gain level adjustment - use this gain control knob to adjust the speaker properly to the input level from the sound source. Make sure to setup all speakers accordingly. When set to 0 (middle position), the input level is set to the recommended calibrated level to reach the most optimised dynamic response on the output (based on a a balanced XLR or TRS signal with +4dBu reference level).
5. character selection (room adjustment) - via the character selection it is possible to tilt the whole frequency spectrum up (BRIGHT) or down (SMOOTH). This allows you to adjust the sound according to the requirements in your room as well as to your own hearing preferences and requirements. When set to 0 (middle position), the frequency response is optimized, i.e. as linear as possible. When the value is tilted upwards, the higher frequencies will appear stronger, yet the whole frequency spectrum will match accordingly. When the value is tilted downwards, the high frequencies will appear less strong. It is recommended to adjust the CHARACTER first, before you change something on the LOW and HIGH knobs. Also make sure that each speaker has exactly the same settings.
6. high frequencies (room adjustment) - the HIGH knob allows you to adjust the high frequencies via a built-in EQ mostly affecting the area around 10kHz, by around 1dB for each step up or down, according to local requirements and your taste. When set to 0 (middle position), the whole frequency response is optimized, i.e. as linear as possible. Make sure that each speaker has exactly the same settings.
7. low frequencies (room adjustment) - the LOW knob allows you to adjust the low frequencies via a built-in EQ mostly affecting the area around 100Hz and below, by around 1dB for each step up or down, according to local requirements and your taste. When set to 0 (middle position), the whole frequency response is optimized, i.e. as linear as possible. Make sure that each speaker has exactly the same settings.
8. ground lift switch - with the ground lift switch you can lift the signal ground from earth (when set to ON) or by default keep it connected (when set to OFF). This allows you in some situation to reduce or remove unwanted hum noise when there are issues with grounding of your audio signals in your studio setup.
9. standby switch - you can turn the standby functionality ON or OFF. When set to OFF, the standby energy saving functions are not available and the unit will always be turned on. When set to ON, the unit will switch to power saving mode after a while without any audio signal. The power saving mode is indicated by a red ESI logo LED on the front panel (instead of the normally orange power ESI logo LED). When there is an audio signal again, regular operation resumes.
10. power switch - with the power switch you can turn uniK 08+ on and off.
11. power port with ext. fuse - use this connector to plug in the detachable 3-circuit line cord that connects to the power outlet. The connector contains a replaceable fuse (T2AL/250V).
More support pages