Knowledge Base / FAQ
Date: 2012-06-17 | ID: KB00072EN | short link:
MI/ODI/O is an add-on card for MAYA44, Waveterminal 192L, Waveterminal 192M and Waveterminal 192X to add a digital S/PDIF input, a coaxial S/PDIF output plus MIDI input and output. It is easy to install and does not require any additional power supply or drivers to install.
When do I need to use MI/ODI/O?
Essentially there are three main functions that MI/ODI/O provides as additional feature to your ESI audio interface (MAYA44, Waveterminal 192L, Waveterminal 192M or Waveterminal 192X):
1. MI/ODI/O provides a digital S/PDIF input (both optical TOSlink and coaxial
2. MI/ODI/O provides a coaxial S/PDIF output (already available on MAYA44 and Waveterminal 192M without MI/ODI/O).
3. MI/ODI/O provides MIDI I/O with one MIDI input and one MIDI output.
If you need the digital input, then MI/ODI/O is a perfect solution for you and quite affordable. If you need a coaxial S/PDIF output only, you could also consider a third party optical to coaxial converter which might be cheaper compared to the price of MI/ODI/O. If you mainly need MIDI I/O, it is more cost effective to use a high speed MIDI interface cable like our MIDIMATE II or even one with multiple ports like M4U XL. Obviously if you need the combination (all three of the above or at least two of them), then MI/ODI/O is perfect for you as well.
Installation of MI/ODI/O
To install MI/ODI/O in your computer, follow these steps:
1. Turn off the computer, unplug the power cable and remove the cover.
2. Make sure you have one empty slot available that is close to your ESI PCI audio interface.
3. Connect the MI/ODI/O connection cable to the ESI PCI audio interface; there is only one way to connect the cable.
4. Place MI/ODI/O into the empty slot and be careful not to touch other cards.
5. Tighten the screw to fix MI/ODI/O to your case.
6. Check if everything is connected and fixed properly, then but back the computer cover and connect it to power again.
Description of MI/ODI/O
1. S/PDIF optical input (24-bit / 96 kHz) - this TOSlink connector provides an optical S/PDIF input for your ESI PCI audio interface.
2. external connection for breakout cable - this connector provides coaxial S/PDIF and MIDI I/O with the included breakout cable. It is described below.
3. flat ribbon cable connection port - this port is used to connect the MI/ODI/O add-on card to your ESI PCI audio interface with the included flat ribbon cable.
4. MIDI input activity LED - this LED flashes when there is an incoming MIDI signal. It can be used for diagnosis.
5. MIDI output activity LED - this LED flashes when there is an outgoing MIDI signal. It can be used for diagnosis.
6. power LED - this LED shows that MI/ODI/O is properly connected and your computer is turned on. It can be used for diagnosis.
1. Mini-DIN connector - this connector is used to connect the breakout cable with MI/ODI/O.
2. coaxial S/PDIF output - this RCA port is used to connect MI/ODI/O to any device with coaxial S/PDIF input.
3. coaxial S/PDIF input - this RCA port is used to connect MI/ODI/O to any device with coaxial S/PDIF output.
4. MIDI output - this DIN connector is used to connect to the MIDI input port of another device.
5. MIDI input - this DIN connector is used to connect to the MIDI output port of another device.
More support pages