Knowledge Base / FAQ
ID: KB00061EN | short link:
aktiv 08 connectors & functions (no standby)
This text describes the layout and main functions of the rear panel of our aktiv 08 active monitors. Please note that the information in this document refers to the model without standby functionality which was shipped to resellers until late 2012 (Europe only). A description of the connectors and functions of the upgraded hardware can be found here.
1. XLR input - this connector accepts balanced XLR input connections (optimised for +4dBu). XLR input is wired like this:
|INPUT SIGNAL||XLR CONNECTIONS|
2. TS input - this jack accepts TS input connections, unbalanced (optimised for -10dBV). The TS input is wired like this:
|INPUT SIGNAL||TRS CONNECTIONS|
The TS input should not be used with balanced TRS signals. Although this is possible, the input level will not be correct in that case. For balanced connection, please use a XLR cable whenever possible.
3. vent port - aktiv 08 is a vented box speaker system with a vent port on the rear panel. Make sure you are not blocking the vent port (i.e. by putting the speaker too close to a wall) or the sound colour will be changed.
4. volume control knob - use the volume control knob to set the proper input level from the sound source. Make sure to setup all speakers accordingly. When set to the center position, the output level is set to the recommended calibrated level to reach the most optimised dynamic response (expecting a balanced XLR +4dBu or unbalanced TS -10dBV input signal).
5. treble attenuation adjustment - to match your aktiv 08 to certain room acoustic requirements, a change in the treble attenuation can be made with this switch. The default and recommended setting is 0dB and normally you can always keep it there. Always make sure to setup all speakers identically.
6. bass roll off adjustment - this switch allows you to match aktiv 08 better to a subwoofer and in special situations where the room acoustics require it. The default and recommended setting is 50Hz and normally you can always keep it there. Always make sure to setup all speakers identically.
7. power switch - when you push the power switch, aktiv 08 will be turned on, and -surprise- it will be turned off when you push the power switch again.
8. power port with ext. fuse - use this connector to plug in the detachable 3-circuit line cord that connects to the power outlet. The connector contains a replaceable fuse (T2AL/250V).
9. AC Selection - you can select either 115V or 230V AC power according to your local requirements. Make sure this is selected properly before you switch on aktiv 08 for the first time or your equipment could be damaged.
More support pages